Mana Pacific’s UN, Energy Policy, and Project Manager, Sierra Jackovics, represented the company in New York City for the highly anticipated New York Climate Week. New York Climate Week, which took place from September 17th to 24th this year, unites international leaders from business, government, and civil society across 500 different events and activities around the city focused on showcasing and powering global climate action.
Over the week, Sierra Jackovics represented Mana Pacific at a wide series of events with their partner Blue Planet Alliance, a nonprofit dedicated to transitioning the world to 100% renewable energy by 2045, starting with Small Island Developing States. Together, Mana Pacific and Blue Planet Alliance along with other partners like Brooklyn StoryLab and PeaceBoat US, took on the week and demonstrated how each organization was accelerating climate action and the renewable energy transition.
The week’s action included:
- New York City Climate March across Manhattan, attended by over 75,000 people to demand climate action and the phase-out of fossil fuels.
- Youth and Partnership Reception to celebrate young clean energy leaders, close partners like Mana Pacific, and Blue Planet Alliance Youth Ambassadors.
- Up2Us Climate Week Kickoff Event, featuring Henk Rogers, Founder of Blue Planet Foundation and Blue Planet Alliance. Henk discussed his journey from being a notorious video game entrepreneur with Tetris to helping pass the State of Hawaii’s 100% Renewable Energy by 2045 law in 2015.
- Arizona State University Global Futures Conference, which united global private and public sector representatives, individuals from science and academia, Indigenous communities, and youth to “push the boundaries of discourse on how we must act to save our planet.”
- The Nest Climate Campus at the Javits Center, which hosted all-day main-stage programming focused on showcasing “valuable insights from the most brilliant minds and dedicated organizations at the forefront of the climate solutions movement.”
- Foreign Policy Magazine’s Energy Forum, which took a deep dive into the hows of the energy transition, featuring Dr. Fatih Birol (Executive Director of the International Energy Agency (IEA)), Kavita Sinha (Private Sector Facility Director at the Green Climate Fund), Isaiah Oliver (Director at Chemonics International in partnership with USAID), and President Biden’s Energy Advisor, Amos Hochstein, among others.
- Blue Planet Alliance’s Jeffersonian Dinner, which brought together BPA’s closest partners and political leaders from across the Pacific and Caribbean.
- Blue Planet Alliance’s Hard Rock Hotel Climate Week Event, featuring speakers, panels, and climate agreement MOU signings to onboard new Alliance partners and join the mission towards 100% Renewable Energy by 2045.
Throughout New York Climate Week, Mana Pacific reunited with numerous partners, including Blue Planet Alliance, Brooklyn Story Lab, University of Guam, and the ASU Julie Ann Wrigley Global Futures Laboratory, among many others. Mana Pacific is committed to accelerating Pacific Island Countries and Territories towards their renewable energy goals through their projects in the region. The company is proud to be an executor and implementer of the larger vision of 100% Renewable Energy by 2045. Sierra Jackovics and Mana Pacific look forward to supporting their partners and attending New York Climate Week in 2024.